What is COMLEX Level 3?
Even though COMLEX Level 3 is the exam that ultimately allows doctors of osteopathic medicine to practice in the United States, it is generally regarded as the least important of the COMLEX exams. This is because COMLEX Level 3 is taken after internship/residency has already begun, thus making it much less stressful than the others. However, many students do struggle with the length of Level 3, as it is nearly twice as long as Levels 1 and 2-CE.
What content does COMLEX Level 3 cover?
COMLEX Level 3 requires competence in the areas of: application of osteopathic medical knowledge, osteopathic patient care and osteopathic principles and practice, communication, professionalism and ethics. In addition, Level 3 requires knowledge of the following clinical science disciplines: Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, Preventive Medicine and Health Promotion, Internal Medicine, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Osteopathic Principles and Practice/ Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine, Pediatrics, Psychiatry and Surgery. The examination also includes audio-visual components designed to assess an expanded physician competency subset.
How is COMLEX Level 3 scored?
Level 3 is scored on a scale of 9-999 with the national average score for first time test takers being 550±125 (for 2016-2017). The lowest passing score for COMLEX Level 3 is 350 (as of January 2020). Passing COMLEX Level 3 allows you to practice osteopathic medicine in the United States of America.
How is COMLEX Level 3 administered?
Unlike Levels 1 and 2-CE, COMLEX Level 3 is a 2 day exam. The exam consists of four computer-based test sessions that last 3 ½ hours each, with two on each day. Level 3 contains 420 questions in the multiple choice question format and 26 clinical decision-making (CDM) cases that include two to four questions each. CDM questions either require selection of one or more answer options from an extensive list that may contain more than one correct answer or a short answer.
Receiving 1-on-1 help from an expert is always helpful. However, for some students, getting personalized help studying for COMLEX Level 3 is necessary in order to achieve their goals. We strongly encourage students who fit into one or more of the following categories to contact us and speak with our learning advisor to determine if tutoring is your best option for success.
- If you have previously failed COMLEX Level 2-CE or if you previously failed COMLEX Level 1 and got a low score on Level 2-CE, a Level 3 tutor will be beneficial in helping make sure you pass Level 3.
- If you have previously failed COMLEX Level 3 we strongly encourage you to contact us immediately as more than 3 Level 3 failures can prevent licensure in many states. One of our professional Level 3 tutors can work with you to come up with an action plan for passing and moving forward in your career.
At Risk Students
- If you historically have high test anxiety and/or are a poor standardized test taker, a couple tutoring sessions focused on strategy and wellness can be very beneficial to your success. In addition, if preparing for COMLEX Levels 1 and 2-CE were a traumatic experience for you, a tutor can help Level 3 prep go smoother.
- If you worked successfully with a tutor for COMLEX Level 1 and/or COMLEX Level 2-CE and found the structure and support helpful, then a Level 3 tutor can likely help you in the same way.
- If you are planning to take Level 3 to bolster your chances of acceptance into your preferred residency, 1-on-1 tutoring can be the best chance you have at accomplishing your goal.
In addition, enjoy our Unused Hour Guarantee! All unused 1-on-1 tutoring hours are fully refundable.